This privacy notice provides you with general information about how we collect and use your information in the delivery of council services.
Who we are
Isle of Wight Council is a local authority and is known as the "Controller" of the information that we collect about you. You can view the registration on the Information Commissioner’s Office website.
Isle of Wight Council
Isle of Wight
Telephone: 01983 821000
Data Protection Officer's contact details
You can contact our Data Protection Officer at DPO@iow.gov.uk.
You can also write to: Data Protection Officer, Corporate Information Unit, County Hall, High Street, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 1UD
How long we hold your information
We are required to retain your information for as long as is necessary, after which it will be securely destroyed.
Retention periods can differ and will depend on various criteria including the purpose of processing, regulatory and legal requirements, and internal organisational need.
We have retention schedules in place that set out in detail how long information will be held for. If you require more information, please contact the relevant service.
Where your information is held
We may process your information in both digital and hard copy format. Primarily your information will be held within the United Kingdom but in some limited circumstances it may be transferred overseas using web services that are hosted outside of the European economic area. Where this is the case, we will ensure that adequate and appropriate safeguards are in place to protect your information overseas.
Your information rights
You have several rights in relation to the information that the council holds about you:
- Access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances.
- Object to processing - You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances.
- Data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
- Automated decisions and profiling – You have the right to prevent your information being processed and decisions being made about you solely by automated means (without any human involvement)
If you wish to use your rights, please contact our Corporate Information Unit at email@example.com.
You can also write to: Corporate Information Unit, Legal Services, County Hall, High Street, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 1UD.
To view more information about your rights and when these might apply visit the Information Commissioner's website.
View our data protection policy for more details about how the council handles personal data and complies with data protection legislation. This can be found on: http://www.iwight.com
Information Commissioner's Office
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if you are not satisfied with the way that the council has handled your information.
The ICO is an independent body set up to uphold information rights in the United Kingdom. They can also provide advice and guidance and can be contacted through the Information Commissioner’s website, via their helpline on 0303 123 1113 or in writing to:
Information Commissioner’s Office